Image: EagleNet

Health Services

Health Services

New Life Academy has a licensed school nurse on staff during the school day. The school nurse is here to help with:

  • Caring for students with illness, accidents, and injuries
  • Medication administration
  • Immunization review and compliance monitoring
  • Creation and implementation of individual health plans and emergency care plans
  • Prevention and control of communicable diseases
  • Vision and hearing screening
  • Other services to promote health and maintain wellness so students can learn

Healthy students are better learners.

The ability to see and hear adequately are directly linked to academic success. Vision and hearing screening is done for 1 st and 3rd grade students and color vision for Kindergarten boys each year. Students in Grade 5 have vision screening done each year.

Additional vision or hearing screening may be requested by teacher, parent, or student or when a student is referred for evaluation of learning difficulties. Parents will be notified of students who do not pass screening via a referral form that the health care provider completes and then once complete it is returned to the school health office.

If a student has any of the following, he/she must stay home from school:

  • Fever of 100° F or greater in the last 24 hours without using any fever reducing medications
  • Vomiting or diarrhea in the last 24 hours
  • Rash (until diagnosed)
  • New antibiotic within the past 24 hours for most contagious illness
  • Suspected contagious illness (until diagnosed)
If your child has a diagnosis of:

Whooping Cough/Pertussis
Student must stay home while waiting for test results. If diagnosed positive, student must complete 5 days of antibiotic treatment before returning to school.

Treatment for head lice is recommended. Continue checking your child’s head and combing daily to remove nits for 2 weeks.

Minnesota State Law requires that all children enrolled in preschool, elementary, or secondary school to be completely immunized or have a documented exemption on file.

Parents may obtain a legal exemption for medical or conscientiously held beliefs. It is necessary to provide documentation of the exemption. A medical exemption, including documentation of a history of chicken pox, requires a doctor’s signature (see section 2 of the Student Immunization Record).

A conscientious objection requires a notarized parent signature which is also on the Student Immunization Record under section 1B.

All students must have a current Immunization Record on file at the school they attend. Please see the forms and policies page for the appropriate forms.

Medication Administration:

  • In accordance with MN Guidelines for Medication Administration at School, all medication to be given in school must be supplied by a parent/guardian.
  • Medication to be given in school must be F.D.A. approved and supplied in the original container or prescription bottle. Prescription medicine should be prepared by the pharmacist and sent in a prescription bottle with the appropriate labeling for school use.
  • Written PARENTAL PERMISSION is required for all medication to be administered at school.
  • Written HEALTH CARE PROVIDER permission, in addition to parental permission is required for all prescription medication.
  • All medication must have accompanying specific instructions regarding when and how it is to be given, and for how long.

Self-Administration of Medication:

Students of any age with demonstrated competency and an Authorization to Self Carry an EpiPen or Inhaler Form on file in the health office may carry an inhaler (asthma medications), EpiPen, or insulin.  However, only secondary students, grades 6-12 are allowed to carry over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers (e.g. Tylenol, Ibuprofen) with an Authorization to Self Carry OTC Medication Form on file in the health office.  Students are not allowed to carry cold medicine or any other medication.

Required Forms for Various Health Conditions:

  • OTC Medication – Medication Authorization Form – parent signature only
  • Self Carry OTC Pain Medication for 6th-12th grade – Authorization to Self Carry OTC Medication Form – parent signature only
  • Prescription Medication (e.g., ADHD Meds, Antibiotics, etc.) – Medication Authorization Form – Health Care Provider and parent signature
  • Special Diet Form – to identify life threatening food allergies, food allergies and food intolerances – Health Care Provider and parent signature
  • EpiPen and Benadryl – Anaphylaxis Emergency Plan – Health Care Provider and parent signature Medication Authorization Form – parent signature only if accompanied by the Anaphylaxis Emergency Plan.
  • Inhaler – Asthma Action Plan – Health Care Provider and parent signature, Medication Authorization Form – parent signature only if accompanied by the Asthma Action Plan.
  • Self Carry EpiPen, Inhalers, Insulin – Authorization to Self Carry EpiPen and Inhaler Form- Health Care Provider and parent signature
  • Seizure Medication – Medication Authorization Form – Health Care Provider and parent signature

For more information, please review the studnet Please visit the Forms and Policies page for all health forms.

School Physicals:

South Washington County Schools encourages periodic physical exams for the health and wellness of all students. It is recommended that students see their health care provider for physicals before entering Kindergarten, 4th, 7th and 10th grades. Please return the completed physical exam to the NLA Health Office.

Sports Physicals:

Students participating in sports are required to have a physical exam on file that was performed within the last three years. A completed Sports Qualifying Exam Form must be on file in the student health record.

Please visit the Forms and Policies page to access all physical forms.

Special Health Concerns

Health Office staff strives to assist and strengthen the student’s learning process by accommodating any existing health conditions. Please complete the appropriate questionnaires to assist staff in making decisions regarding the best plan for your child. If deemed appropriate, an Individualized Health Plan (IHP) will be created detailing the steps we will take to accommodate your child’s health needs.

Please access the Forms and Policies page for all health-related questionnaires.

Action Plans:

Action plans for asthma, diabetes, seizures, anaphylaxis and allergic reactions are provided and completed by your health care provider. It provides us with the plan to implement in case your child would experience any symptoms or problems while at school


The Special Diet Statement provides information about the student, defines which foods are to be omitted, and is signed by a recognized medical authority who has determined whether the student has a food allergy, food intolerance or medical condition.  New Life Academy does not provide dietary accommodations or substitutions for meals or snacks.  All food preferences or accommodations must be provided by the student’s parent/guardian.

Who is considered a recognized medical authority?

A Licensed Physician, Physician’s Assistant or an Advanced Practice Nurse

How often does the special diet statement need to be renewed?

The form will need to be renewed whenever the participant’s special diet needs to be changed. If changes are not needed, the current form will follow your student from grade to grade.

Can you submit a new special diet statement mid-year?

Yes, anytime there is a change a new statement needs to be filled out and signed by the appropriate medical authority.

  • The Special Diet Statement must be completed and signed by a recognized medical authority.
  • Return the completed and signed form to the New Life Academy Health Office.
  • The Health Office will provide copies of the Special dietary Statement to Food Services and the classroom teacher(s).

Please see the Forms & Policies page for a copy of the Special Diet Statement

For questions or to provide student-related information to Health Office personnel, please contact us at:

Kelsey Sullivan, RN
Licensed School Nurse

(651) 757-4330