Boys Varsity Basketball Head Coach
Boys Varsity Basketball Head Coach
New Life Academy, a non-profit Christian school, has an amazing opportunity for an experienced head basketball coach. New Life Church was formed in 1977 and shortly after New Life Academy (NLA) was born and today has become a Christian school enrolling more than 700 students of diverse backgrounds in grades preschool through twelve. NLA offers its families a complete educational experience as the largest non-denominational Christian School in the east metro area. All grades are located on one campus in Woodbury, MN a suburb of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul.
Today, NLA’s mission is to educate and energize each student to impact their world for Jesus Christ and to reach their full potential in scholarship, leadership and service out of love for God and one another by:
- Preparing each student for college and careers compatible with the individual’s needs, interests, and abilities.
- Helping develop each student’s unique talents and potential to excel by nurturing independence and self-worth.
- Instilling in each student a Christian world view.
The Head Coach is responsible for providing instruction to student-athletes in the varsity, junior varsity, c-squad, and middle school grades regarding the rules, skills, techniques and strategies of basketball. The Head Coach is expected to lead an education-based program that helps students to develop and grow their character, self-discipline, citizenship, leadership and values. The Head Coach ensures that every coach in the program teaches the fundamental skills, strategy and physical training necessary for the teams to realize a degree of individual and team success. At the same time, students should all receive instruction that will lead to the formulation of Christian moral values, sense of accomplishment, acceptable social behavior, self-discipline and self-control. The Head Coach will also work collaboratively with assistant coaches and other members of the athletics staff.
Essential job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Positive coaching style that fosters motivation, maturity and readiness of athletes.
- Excellent organizational skills for the development of schedules, maintaining and publishing statistics, and maintenance of appropriate websites.
- Foster excellent athlete behavior by emulating positive leadership and adhering to the Athletic Code of Conduct; monitor athlete’s behavior and academic status.
- Development of strong athletic training program by creating a conditioning program and skill and tactical training that supports the athletes.
- Responsible for knowing and understanding the emergency response plan, having the skills and ability to respond to student injuries, use approved first-aid and CPR skills and adhere doctor’s orders.
- Work with the Athletic Director to order necessary equipment and uniforms; also maintain inventory of equipment and ensure proper repair and cleanliness of uniforms.
- Exemplify Christ-like qualities and conduct and apply God’s Word in the daily interaction with athletes.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Prior experience coaching a basketball team and understanding technical aspects of the sport and be receptive to examine new theories and procedures related to the sport.
- Strong oral and written communication skills while also displaying professional and respectful treatment of athletes and their families.
- Appropriate licensing and certification in first aid, CPR and AED use; maintaining continuing education requirements of MSHSL or have the willingness to become MSHSL Head Coach Certified.
We will be accepting applications through April 16, 2019.
Please complete a New Life Academy Staff Application on the lower right side of the following link: https://www.newlifeacademy.org/about-nla/careers/. The completed application, letter of interest, and your resume and can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.