Middle and Upper School (Secondary) Principal
We are seeking qualified candidates for our Secondary Principal position, which is responsible for all areas of the secondary program (grades 6-12). The Secondary Principal has the authority to delegate responsibilities to teachers, administrative assistants or volunteers as appropriate. In addition to coordinating and overseeing these programs, the Secondary Principal will maintain their testimony for Christ. The Secondary Principal works closely with the Elementary Principal, Athletic Director and Properties Manager.Ideal candidates are experienced leaders who possess demonstrated abilities to lead teams, solve complex problems diplomatically, and communicate effectively.
The Secondary Principal will carry out his or her functions so that the following are characteristic of the secondary school:
- Effectiveness educationally, spiritually, and professionally
- Staff recruitment that meets the professional and spiritual standards of the school
- Learning experiences designed to enable secondary students to reach their full potential in Christ
- Environment that is safe and conducive to learning
- Scripture taught as the revealed Word of God and truth, and appropriately integrated into the teaching and learning experience
- Camaraderie among the staff
- Day-to-day operational practices that are a consistent model of integrity, efficiency, and accountability
- Evidence that the distinctive Christian education of its students is making a difference in their lives
Essential Job Functions
The Secondary Principal will lead in such a way that the following are characteristics of the secondary school:
- Expected student outcomes thoroughly addressed through educational programs
- Educational programs that develop students who have a biblical worldview and who are well prepared in all academic disciplines
- An academic program that is solid and designed to meet the needs of students
- Leadership that is an agent for positive educational change and innovation
- Knowledge and due consideration of major current trends in education in general and Christian education in particular
- A budget that is managed under the guidance of the HOS and Business Manager
- An environment of student respect and discipline
- Professional development and evaluation of teachers and staff that leads to continuous school improvement
- Policies are carried out consistently and fairly
- Ability to develop and facilitate a school improvement plan
- Assisting in developing and implementing a curriculum for the school to provide courses for students of varying abilities and interests and of differing vocational goals.
- Projecting staffing needs and making recommendations for employment of additional staff personnel, as needed.
- Interviewing and recommending the selection of professional and clerical staff.
- Representing the school whenever possible at recreational, social, and athletic functions.
The Secondary Principal will do the following:
- Give a written biweekly report to the HOS
- Attend Leadership Team and Auxiliary Leadership Team meetings
- Perform responsibilities as directed by the Administrator
- Coordinate and support the Elementary Principal to accomplish the mission and vision of NLA
- Support the Governing Council and HOS of NLA
- Conduct faculty meetings on a regular basis
- Substitute where necessary and appropriate
- Oversee the disciplinary process of programs supervised
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Masters degree in School Leadership
- Minnesota Principals License preferred
- A minimum of 2 years Secondary School Principal experience OR a minimum of 5 years teaching experience at the secondary level
- 2-5 year of leadership or management experience
- Commitment to continuing education and professional development
REQUIRED SKILLS & QUALITIES
- Ability to articulate a Christian philosophy of education consistent with Scripture
- People leadership – coaching, developing, and managing performance
- Team leadership – providing clear direction, fostering collaboration
- Effective oral and written formal and interpersonal communication
- Collaborative team member with school leadership
- Willingness to subordinate his or her personal agenda for the sake of the school
- Openness to new ideas, initiatives, and concepts in education
- Teacher schedule planning
- Assures the existence of a faculty participating decision-making process through the department chair structure
- Manages all staff orientation and onboarding processes, ensuring new teachers receive the support they need to acclimate successfully to our school setting
- Is able to effectively integrate Christian character into day-to-day responsibilities effectively.
- Deep understanding and empathy for the Christian school and the Christian school movement
- Proactively seeks ways to improve how the school presents itself from a Christian perspective.
- Born again believer who exhibits the Fruit of the Spirit in their daily walk
- Regular attendee and supporter of a church whose fundamental beliefs are evangelical in nature
- unreserved acceptance of the school’s Statement of Faith
- A strong, clear Christian testimony
- A mature, godly spirit
Email a resume and staff application found on our Career Page to email@example.com.