Continuity of Learning
God designed us to be in community with one another. The strength of the mission and core values of New Life Academy is the foundational relationship between a student and a teacher, collaborating on campus together, and growing in faith. We know that the best academic experience occurs during in-person learning, however we are preparing for possible waves of interruptions as we continue to navigate this pandemic. Our academic program is designed so that on-campus and off-campus learning can flow seamlessly when needed.
New Life Academy has prepared a FLEXed learning option to accommodate students who are at home due to COVID-19 illness, exposure, or other medical concerns. In the event that there is another community outbreak requiring our school, local, state, or nation to retreat into a ‘Stay at home’ period, we are also prepared to activate Distance Learning. Read below to understand each option and how they may be used.
New Life Academy FLEXed is designed for students with a specific medical or educational need that requires them to remain home for a specific duration of time in response to COVID-19. FLEXed is not intended for non-health related absences such as vacations, appointments, or other non-medical related circumstances. We believe in-person learning provides the best academic experience and outcome. FLEXed is designed to offer continuity in learning for students with a valid COVID-related need for a defined period of time.
FLEXed for Early Ed or Lower School
FLEXed for these divisions is only for short periods of time (ex. 2 weeks) in response to a COVID-19 related illness or exposure and may be prompted by NLA or a student’s parents. Teachers and students will work together while students are home to provide learning resources with academic support provided by a parent.
FLEXed for 6-12
The structure of the academic program in grades 6-12 enables a more consistent academic experience and continuity of learning during COVID-19 related absences. NLA or a parent may request enrollment in FLEXed for a period of time. Approvals may take 24 hours and are made on a case by case basis. Parents seeking enrollment in FLEXed should complete this form at any time in response to a COVID-19 related need.
Criteria for enrolling in FLEXed.
- The student must be a currently enrolled New Life Academy student in good standing.
- Each enrollment is subject to NLA approval, prior to the start of FLEXed.
- Enrollment will be for full days only. Extended time, up to one quarter may be approved.
The following are the only valid circumstances that will be approved:
- A student who is in quarantined due to COVID-19
- A positive COVID-19 result
- Presumed exposure to a positive COVID-19 case.
- A student who has a confirmed medically compromised condition.
- A student who lives with an individual, in the same house, who has a confirmed medically compromised condition.
- A student who has a specific health or educational need that requires removal from school.
How to apply for enrollment in FLEXed.
- Parents will request enrollment for FLEXed on the FLEXed Request Form.
- This will include a length of time to be enrolled.
- Confirmation, and approval of enrollment may take 24 hours.
- Once enrollment is confirmed by NLA, the student will continue their education at NLA from home.
- A student who is asked to quarantine by New Life Academy will be automatically enrolled in FLEXed.
What will FLEXed look like and how will it work?
- Students will log in to their NLA Schoology account.
- For each class period students will join their class via a Zoom link provided in Schoology.
- By joining the class via Zoom the teacher will mark the student present.
- Teachers will conduct a live, synchronous, session at the beginning of class. At New Life Academy we believe that learning takes on multiple forms that engage students in learning. Therefore, the synchronous aspect of the class could be variable depending on the course and day.
- Students will get directions from their teacher for the remainder of the class, which may include joining a group via zoom, working independently on course work, collaborate in class via Zoom, join another live session at the end of class.
- All assignments, homework, assessments, projects, and class work will be available in the NLA Schoology Course.
What happens if a student misses a class period due to a doctor’s appointment or another reason?
- The student will be counted absent (notes or calls to the attendance line regarding reasons for absences will follow normal protocols).
- The students can make up any work just as if they were absent from class.
- The opening Zoom session will be recorded for review by students who were absent.
Distance Learning at New Life Academy will be utilized in the event of an entire school division needing to learn from home. This may be in response to a Stay at Home mandate, similar to what was used in the Spring of 2020. NLA doesn’t intend to utilize Distance Learning unless it becomes absolutely necessary for the health and safety of our community or a State Mandate requires us to do so.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Do you offer Hybrid Learning?
A. New Life Academy is not using the term hybrid learning since many public districts refer to hybrid learning as a rotating schedule where portions of students rotate between in-person learning and distance learning on set days of the week. We have prepared continuity of learning through FLEXed program for students who are required to be at home for a period of time due to COVID-19 related reasons.
Q. Can I request FLEXed learning to establish a schedule that works around my off-campus job.
A. No. FLEXed is designed to accommodate specific COVD-19 related needs, not a desired job or recreational hobby.
Q. Is there an option for those families that do not feel comfortable with in person classroom?
A. For students in grades 6-12, enrollment in FLEXed may be approved for valid COVID-19 related reasons. A request for FLEXed form must be submitted and approved by New Life Academy. For students in EE and LS, short-term FLEXed will be approved based on illness or quarantine need only.
Q. Can you explain how a student moves from FLEXed to in the classroom?
A. At the conclusion of the prearranged time in FLEXed, they are welcomed back to school. If the FLEXed period was in response to a positive COVID-19 test, approval to return will be based on MDH, health care provider, or New Life Academy guidelines.
Q. What would it take for the school to close and transfer to distance learning?
A. This would be decided in collaboration with MDH based on an outbreak in our school or local community.